In this online workshop, Dr. Richard Caro leads you through a simple five step process that lets you decide which of the bewildering array of emergency response systems (medical alerts) would be the right one for a specific older adult.
This workshop is based on independent, objective analysis and hands-on testing by Tech-enhanced Life, PBC, with help from a community of older adults, called Longevity Explorers, and guidance from an advisory panel of clinicians, and aging services veterans. It is funded entirely by Tech-enhanced Life and is not sponsored by any of the companies that make these products, and contains no advertising or sponsored content.
What am I going to get from this workshop?
After taking this workshop you will:
- know what an emergency response system does and how it works, and for whom it might be useful;
- recognize the different "flavors" of emergency response system and their strengths and weaknesses;
- have a personalized profile of the exact emergency response feature set that will best match the life circumstance of a specific older adult;
- have a short list of actual products that fit these criteria;
- be able to access the Tech-enhanced Life online reviews and analysis of individual emergency response products, and our comparative testing of them;
- be able to apply this decision process for other older adults you may need to help.
Who is the target audience?
This workshop is aimed at anyone who needs to help make a decision about which medical alert (emergency response system) would work best for a specific individual. This includes:
- older adults, who want a system for themselves or a friend;
- the children of older adults who want to help their parents get the right product; and
- clinicians who give advice to older adults and their families, and want to know how to give the right advice.
Dr. Richard G. Caro is co-founder of Tech-enhanced Life, a Public Benefit corporation with the mission of improving the quality of life of older adults and their families. For several years now his work has focused on the intersection of aging and technology, and he recently co-authored an eBook entitled Caring from Afar: A Guide to Home Sensor Systems for Aging Parents.
In addition to his work with Tech-enhanced Life, Richard is CEO of TangibleFuture, Inc., an interventional management consultancy based in San Francisco, and is an active member of several Silicon Valley angel investor groups, with a particular focus on the intersection of healthcare, aging, and technology. Richard started his career as a researcher at Stanford University, and then spent a number of years developing novel medical products (such as the world's first LASIK device for changing the shape of your eyes). He has a Ph.D. in Physics from Oxford University where he was a Rhodes Scholar.
About Tech-enhanced Life
Tech-enhanced Life, PBC is a Public Benefit Corporation with the mission of improving the quality of life of older adults and their families. Our focus is on finding ways that clever, technology-enhanced products can help overcome some of the challenges of aging, and compensate for functional decline. So that older adults and their families can spend more time doing what they love to do, and less time dealing with problems and worrying.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. If you are a regular at one of our Longevity Explorer circles, you can take this workshop for FREE. Just email us if you don't have the discount code and we will send you a login.